The Alliance is fueled by a network of volunteers who participate in many ways-one major way is through joining one of our working committees.
Education & Training Committee
Members of the Education & Training committee work with staff to develop educational materials and training curriculum, oversee the successful implementation of community-based training programs and monitor the effectiveness of trainings.
Members of the Policy Committee work with staff to educate public officials on the mission and need for the Alliance. Members work to promote the implementation of new policies, which will advance the mission of the Alliance, as well as ensure that existing policies are upheld.
The Youth committee works with staff to plan and implement all youth programming, including organizing summits, Day of Silence activities, hearings and gay-straight alliance outreach and support. Additionally, the representatives from the Youth Committee work to ensure that the voices, experiences and needs of the youth community are served by the organization.
Development & Communications Committee
The Development & Communication committee's job is not only to raise money in order to support the organization, but to also acquire other resources and in-kind donations to promote the organization's health and sustainability. The duties of the Development & Communications committee include:
- Working with staff to establish a fundraising plan that incorporates a series of appropriate vehicles, such as special events, direct mail, and product sales, and to take this plan to the full board for its review and approval
- Overseeing the implementation of the fundraising plan, and especially to ensure that commitments by individual board members are met
- Monitoring fundraising efforts to be sure that ethical practices are in place, that donors are acknowledged appropriately and that fundraising efforts are cost-effective
- Overseeing fundraising done by members of the board
In their support role, Development & Communications committee members are also committed to:
- Raising funds through personal activities, such as hosting donor parties or asking for major donations
- Working with staff in their identifying funding opportunities for the Alliance as requested, and available
- Taking the lead in certain types of outreach efforts, such as chairing an event committee or hosting fundraising parties
- Assisting with member recruitment by identifying potential organizational or individual members
- Being responsible for involvement of all board members in fundraising, such as having board members make telephone calls to ask for support or visit key donors
- Assisting staff with the visibility of the Alliance throughout the state through the development and dissemination of materials
- Assisting the Executive Director in media relations, as well as helping to develop organization and/or issue-based talking points
Interested in participating on a committee? Join Us!